Build Your Online Presence
The 7-Step Online
Marketing Plan for Small-Business Owners
A Proven Digital Marketing Strategy
Online marketing can be overwhelming. There are so many options out there, but what should your business do? Where should you start? In this free marketing plan, we hope to simplify online marketing to 7-steps that anyone can do. This guide was created for the busy small-business owner that wants to grow their business.
The 7-Step Online Marketing Plan
1. Create a Website
This is the most important step to your online marketing. Your website is the foundation for all other digital marketing efforts. Every other marketing effort should drive people to your website. Your website will convert people from interested to leads.
It's also important because you are always in control of your website, you don't have full control over 3rd party websites such as Facebook and Google My Business. If they make a change to their system, you have no choice than to change.
Make sure where you are sending people on the website that the page look great and have clear calls to action: whether that's submitting a form for more info, or clicking a phone number to call. Calls to action are trackable and they are the key indicators if marketing efforts are working.
Why do I need a website?
Your customer expects it. They are searching online for you or services or products you sell.
Your competitors don’t have websites. Stay ahead of the curve and get the business they are missing out on.
Your competitors have websites. They have the edge on you right now.
You get more bang for your buck than traditional advertising. Billboards, TV Commercials, Radio Commercials and Direct Mail cost several hundreds of dollars to thousands a month.
You can be open 24/7 to showcase/sell products and services online. How awesome would it be to wake up to an order or lead in your email?
You’ll show up where people are looking... Google search results. Showing up in search results lead people to your website, which leads people to sales.
What makes up a great website?
Have a clear call-to-action. What do you want people to do when they visit your website? Sign-up for an email list? Purchase a membership or product? Contact you through a form or call you? These are actionable steps that you can track the success of.
Functional. You want your website to be functional. That means that all links and forms work. Also you want to make sure your website is fast and secure.
Mobile Friendly. Most traffic is viewed on mobile. You want to make sure your website looks great on smaller devices.
Should I build a website or should I hire someone to create a website for me?
It depends on your goal, needs and time. There are an abundance of resources on how to create a website. If your goal is to save money, you can create a website yourself. There are several website builders out there such as wix.com, squarespace.com or you can even create a free website through Google My Business. You may be wondering what is the best website builder if you choose to do it yourself. The best one is the one you spend time learning. All modern web builders are similar and have their pros and cons.
If your goal is to save you time, having a professional website designer is the way to go. They can help create clear call-to-actions on your website and make sure they are functional, mobile friendly and search engine ready. Also, a professional designer will take care of the details such as favicons, header tags, image size, alt-tags, site speed and more
2. Nurture Leads
So you got people to fill out your contact form... now what are you going to do?
Creating an automated email campaign and/or text campaign is a great next step. This is also called a drip campaign.
What should I send them? This is customized to each business however maybe you send them a welcome email with a discount offer.
3. Create and Manage Online Listings
Online listings are how people find contact information about your business online such as phone number, address and website. This is the new Yellow Pages. There are 300+ listing sites and GPS systems your business can be on. A lot of these listing sites are free to create or claim . You can do it yourself, it just takes time to create all of them.
4 Tips to Create, Claim and Manage Online Listings
- Create a gmail account dedicated for listings.
- Create a spreadsheet with all the sites you have claimed with the login information. Download a template here
- Create a document with a short description and long description of your business that you can use.
- Have a logo file and at least 1 image file ready to upload if you can.
If this sounds like more work than you want to handle, there are options to speed up the process.
4. Get More Online Reviews
Getting reviews is important. It helps build trust. Having a system where you constantly request reviews from your customers is important. Great reviews helps put your business ahead of others. Google & Facebook are the top 2 review sites. *You must have a Google My Business account setup to get a Google review.
3 Tips to Get More Online Reviews
- Create a page that has links for people to easy review your business.
- Text or Email your customers to request a review. Send them a link directly to the review site or to your page that has links.
- Respond to all reviews - good and bad. This shows that you care.
While you can set this up yourself, we've noticed most small business owners just don't have time and forget about this. We can help make sure the requests are sent out and the reviews are responded to.
5. Grow Your Facebook Page and Other Social Media
Social media is always involving. There are always new marketing techniques to try. Don't get bogged down by the latest trends. You can grow a great following on Facebook and Social Media by consistently putting out content. You can also help find your target audience and interact with people where they are at.
6 Tips to Grow Your Facebook Page
- Post consistently. At minimum bi-monthly, weekly is better, a couple times a week is best.
- Piggyback off of other successful businesses. Find and follow others in your industry, see what they are posting to get great engagement and mimic those posts.
- Use emojis. They can add spice and make the wording stick out.
- Give more value than you take. Don't just post about your products or services. Have you ever had a friend part of a multi-level marketing company always trying to sell you something? Don't be that friend.
- Engage and interact with people. It's called social media for a reason.
- Utilize your website. You can create a blog that adds value to people. Share a link to that article.
6. Advertise on Google and Facebook to Get Traffic on Your Website
This is spending money to pay for digital ads on Google & Facebook is the fastest way to get phones ringing.
Digital Advertising Tips:
- Don't just send traffic to the homepage of your website. Create specific ads for each service or product you provide and link to those pages on your website.
- Download and use the Google Ads App
. We can help optimize and target ads so you put the ads in front of the right people resulting in better spending of ad dollars.
7. Optimize Your Website to Rank Higher in Google
While advertising is great way to get fast result, when you stop paying, it doesn't work for you anymore. Advertising is a short-term strategy while SEO, search engine optimization, is a long-term strategy. This is how to show up in google search results without paying for ads.
While you don't have to pay for ads, it can cost you. However, if you're willing to put in the time, you can do it yourself to save money.
SEO can be done with several different techniques, but these are the primary ones:
- On-Page SEO - This can be how the website is coded or how the wording on the page written to highlight keywords. A great tool to use is a blog. This strategy is called content marketing. Content is king!
- Off-Page SEO - This is getting links from other websites back to your website. Google sees some website as higher authority than others. If you get a link from a high authority website, that improves your rankings.
3 Small-Business SEO Tips
- Be patient, it can take up to 3-4 months before seeing results of SEO efforts.
- SEO is trackable by Keyword ranking. When you search for your keyword, what ranking are you in the results?
- Picking the right keywords is an important part of the process. What are people searching for? How much competition is there for that keyword? Watch this video to learn how to research keywords for free